Sunday, October 29, 2006

Visit to Tagatay/Bless this house


Went to visit Lake Taal on Sunday. It is one of the many areas of active volcanos in the Philippines. 2 hour drive, 30 minute boat ride, 30 minute unforgiving horse ride to visit beauty.

Beautiful countryside, very kind people. At the top of the trek, we had a taste of fresh coconut juice and coconut jelly which separates the juice from the coconut meat.

Had a wonderful meal lake side. Rice, veggie medley, grilled lake fish, and chicken adobo. Oh, and fresh pineapple that we bought at a roadside stand. The juiciest pineapple I have ever had. All was good except the huge number of flies. Could have eaten more chicken adobo but got psyched out about the flies. Later in the day we also had fresh buko pie, which is fresh coconut pie. It's similar to apple pie, with the crust, and strips of coconut like strips of apples. Hardly sweet, very tasty. Can't wait to share the desserts with Reyde and James. (6 days and counting!)

Having our condo blessed this evening by a Catholic priest. The office and Drew's place is being blessed as well. I was offered, I said sure, let's do it. The Philippines is a very Catholic nation; we can attend mass every evening, and I think it was said there are 7 masses on Sunday. Will let you know how the blessing goes!

On a side note, we also stopped by a convent on the way home from Lake Taal. Had stopped to buy Ube pie, and othe ube delicacies. (Ube is basically purple yam.) They were out of stock, so we just walked around the grounds, and stepped inside the church. Saw some nuns praying. At this convent you can write down some prayers and they will pray for you all year long. Jay, Michelle, Joan, and I all wrote down our requests and gave them to the church.

Pretty amazing to think that I did all this just yesterday. And even crazier to think that I am here at all. Who would have thought my life would have taken this turn. If I were home, I wouldn't be hanging out with my co-workers, let alone going to a church with them. It is just too weird. My tourist photos and vacation memories with Jay and Michelle!

No comments: