Thursday, October 12, 2006

China trip

October 12-13, 2006.

Trip from Manila to Shanghai fine. Was a very long day. Worked Wednesday night from 8pm to 5.30am. Came home, packed and slept on the couch for a couple hours before catching a taxi to the airport. Taxi had been called the night before to pick me up at 8.30am. At 8.45 am I got another taxi and off we go. Had to give the driver directions as he headed to the wrong terminal at the entrance to the airport.

Slept most of the 3 hour flight to Shanghai. Customs/immigration took almost 40 minutes. Met Lily at the baggage claim and headed for the super fast magnetic train. Yes, it did really go 400+ kms. What is that 175 mph? Very smooth ride; couldn't believe it was travelling that fast.

Met the team at the new office. Prepared for the meeting we had this morning and then headed off for dinner. Hot Pot is so very good. It's sort of like The Melting Pot, but in Chinese foods. Lily, her son John, Gladys and I enjoyed lamb, beef, shrimp, mushrooms, and a variety of unknown vegetables. By the time dinner was done, so was I. Very tired.



Check out the photos. Yes, can you imagine chilled green bean soup as a dessert. Yet another way to choke down my favorite veggie.

After dinner we came back to the office to pick up my luggage. Good thing; a worker from a different company had been locked in the office. She almost spent the night at work. Headed off to the service apartment; when my head hit the pillow I was out for the night despite the very firm mattress!

Had a very good meeting with the prospect from Mexico. The team did well for a quick, on the spot meeting.

Was feeling pretty homesick and lonely on Wednesday in Manila and last night. I think a lot of it was the sleep factor. Today I am well rested and not feeling so lonely. Was able to talk to James on Skype and see him and Turbo. Made me feel much better. Now if only Reyde would talk to me on the phone. It is typical and what I expect when I travel; Reyde is pretty offended that I leave; so while I know that that is why he is not wanting to talk to me on the phone, I sure do miss him.

That's it for now; I'll update you as I go. Rest assured, the China team is taking very good care of me. It's incredible to think that I feel so at home with the team and have only met them once in February. Skype and email makes the miles disappear.

(And if the pictures didn't load....I'll get to it! The connection is a bit slow in China.)

No comments: