Wednesday, January 10, 2007

My own little fear factor episode

Went to lunch with the next set of new hires last Friday. One of them ordered soup that had beef bones in it. I noticed that one of the guys was shaking the bone...only to see the gelatin like substance fall out. You got that right....beef bone marrow. A delicacy right?

So even though I knew it would be a texture moment for me, I asked if I could taste it. The itty bitty-iest taste. I don't think it even measured to 1/2 tsp. At any rate, I put it in my mouth, texture of 1/2 formed jello....and not much flavor. I assumed it would take on the flavor of the soup broth.

No, I am not trying balut. And for those of you intrigued by the word...click on the link below. Graphic pictures.

http://deependdining.blogspot.com/2005/09/balut-egg-of-darkness-pinoy-pinay.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The description of balut given by the author is more than I can read. I am considering printing the last photo and carrying that photo as a tool to curb my appetite.

My breakfast is a mere seven hours away and I am uncertain that I will be able to get it down or keep it down. Ughhhhhhhh
Amy

Anonymous said...

Oh DUDE, no.
Stanley ate that, and thousand-year-old eggs. When I ask someone how something tastes, the reply should NOT include the word 'ammonia', ie: 'It has just the right tang of ammonia'.
*shudder*
Something they ate during a famine that then became 'tradition', methinks.

Mmmmm...pansit. I miss pansit.