Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Dad-o-meter

On vacation this and next week. James is at work, Reyde is at school and I have all the time to do what I want. Haven't gotten to much of what I thought I would, but it's only Wednesday right?

Having been on a creative binge of sorts for a while I indulge in a few movies. I can't just sit and watch though, it drives me batty. Lacing up my shoes, turning up the volume, I set my treadmill in motion and enjoy the escape of a good story.

With the Oscars just around the corner, I catch "The Kids are Allright," "The Social Network," and "Crazy Heart." (Yeah Crazy Heart is from last year and Jeff Bridges performance was so good.)

I love it when a story brings forth emotion. I'm inspired and motivated by The Social Network. Gosh, why can't I invent the next biggest thing?

Crazy Heart on the other hand was off the charts for tears. Tears? Yeah. Tears. I mean it wasn't that sad of a story. Brdiges character reminded me so much of Dad. The unkept hair, dirty clothes, a man lost. There wasn't much similarity other than that, a man alone in the world with the realization that he'd lost someone. Trying to make amends. Seeing it from Bridges character's perspective I cried for how my Dad must have felt.

So, having balled my eyes out while not falling off the treadmill, I figure I should check in with Amy. Because it seems that when I am missing Dad, she is too. We are connected that way. Chit chat about this and that, and I bring up the movie.

"Have you seen it yet?"

"No, is it good?"

"Well, on the Dad-o-meter it's off the charts. Bridges character looks like Dad and I cried like a baby."

"I better not watch it then. I'm missing Dad."

"Yeah, me too."

Grief sucks.

No comments: